WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN LIFE ISN'T FAIR?


OUR CULTURE SEEMS TO BE OBSESSED with equality, but in reality, fairness evaluations are just bizarre. They are all about comparison and self-pity and low self-esteem. If you've ever seen kids fighting over whose portion is bigger or better, you know what I'm talking about. You might even have been that kid.

As a mom, I am convinced that it is best to parent each child individually, according to their own needs. Life is not fair. Period. We do our kids a disservice when we help them to think otherwise.

I'm so thankful that life isn't fair because if it were I would have to have all the same skill sets as everyone else on the planet. Can you imagine if you had to go to college to get every single type of degree available to be had? Or what if there was only one degree type, and every person had to get it so that no one else felt left out? That would be really boring.

I have been to a country where the end goal was to have everything be completely equal. The thought is that no one should rise above the rest, but that everyone should contribute equally. It simply doesn't work out well. The end result is the government deciding every person's career path so they can assure that society is evenly provided for. This means that if the government decides you should be a teacher, you don't have any choice in the matter. You just have to do it for the good and overall "fairness" of the whole.

Each person is unique. We each have a specific personality with a gift mix all our own. We each have unique needs with different love languages to give and receive love.

God is the best Father, and He is really good at giving each of us exactly what we need at just the right time. We can rest in Him.

Key Idea: Everyone ends up poor and losing when we make equality our highest goal.

"Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also." John 12:1-3

As dearly loved children of God, we really do not need to worry if someone else is getting more than we are. We have a really good Father who really loves us, and that makes it completely normal for us to be filled with peace and contentment instead of striving and comparison.

@2018 Beth L. Olson. All rights reserved.
 
 

Comments